Monday, April 18, 2011

A day in the life, 1955

8 months have passed since i became pregnant and today, i learnt of my husbands imminent return from Korea. Not a day goes by where i do not remember the news of his capture during the war. 2 whole years i have waited for his release, and every day i prayed. As much joy as i feel now, it is somewhat repelled by the numerous deaths around me. Neighbors and friends are being taken away to be "re-educated" i fear that i shall never see them again. What scares me most is their political and economic beliefs were very similar to mine and my husbands. In fact, it would not be a stretch to say they influenced my stance on government and in turn, i influenced them. Communism is becoming more popular by the day, and i believe that it is not the way. So too did my friends and i live in fear knowing that their capture will one day be my fate. Days go by and i can't help myself from thinking, we are next. It is not our fault communist ideals do not interest us. It is not our fault that we do not agree with these radical notions but how can be be punished for thinking that this is not the right course for our country. I pray every night for my husbands safe return, but i also, selfishly pray for myself. I pray for my baby to be born not in a camp, dirty with disease and forced labor. I pray for my child to arrive in this world with clear skies above and hot food on the table. I pray Chairman Mao does not separate me from my child, however as the war comes to and end, i cannot help but feel that the winds of change are upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment