Monday, April 18, 2011

Day During the Cultural Revolution (Claudia and David)

1967, Beijing:

Today, I noticed the worst of this "Cultural Revolution." Revolution is brewing in our city. The people have broken away from normal behavior and have begun destroying all of the aspects of ancient Chinese culture. To me, this is somewhat of a good thing; we are changing some of the undesirable aspects of the Chinese society, including capitalism and destroying the bourgeoisie. The economy is suffering greatly, for the revolutionary tendencies are leading to anarchy. Chairman Mao's publications and "Little Red Book" have been spread around (today I received one of these books), wherein he enjoined us to destroy the old four: "the old customs, habits, culture, and thinking." The Red Guards are chanting in the streets, vandalizing the traditional art, and removing authority from power. Once, as I was walking to the market, I saw the artwork in a museum of art from the Qing dynasty completely defaced. The students at the university gave a speech, urging the people to join the fight. Although this is okay, they are going too far. While the students were giving their speech, the Red Guards chanted their infamous slogans regarding this change in Chinese culture. This country is a nation of peasants and proletarian workers, not of powerful bourgeois people. Therefore, the elements of the bourgeoisie should be expunged; however, the results of this fight are turning out to be disastrous. I have been encouraged to spend my days reading the literature of chairman Mao, and today I tried to memorize one of the three commonly read passages. This is tough for me, but I think that if I can do this, then I will be showing my support to the "Cultural Revolution."

No comments:

Post a Comment